Tổng quan các chủ đề
Environmental surveys to support the farming of the scallop Patinopecten yessoensis in Lake Saroma, Hokkaido × SDGs
In order to achieve sustainable use of fishery resources, we will contribute to the SDGs by understanding the basic production process and the nutrient environment that supports it.
The United Nations has designated the decade starting in 2021 as the "Decade of Ocean Science," with the aim of contributing to SDGs. Ocean science, as defined by the UN, includes the field of fisheries.
· Environmental monitoring has been conducted to estimate the scallop Patinopecten yessoensis farming capacity in Lake Saroma.
· Estimating the amount of food needed for scallop requires investigating the process of phytoplankton production, which is their main source of food, and the process of food consumption by various herbivores.
· Understanding the functions and structures of the ecosystem involved in scallop farming requires understandings on primary production, chemistry, and biology; this is the perfect research site for utilizing the skills of our laboratory.
Sunset at Lake Saroma
· Lake Saroma is a typical area for scallop aquacultures, and approximately 7,000 tons are produced every year.
· It is also an area for the production of scallop juveniles to be released into the Okhotsk sea, and the lake supports approximately 70,000 tons of scallop production in the open sea.
· Fishermen set up scallop aquaculture allowances and manage the fishing grounds of Lake Saroma to comprehensively manage and permanently use the fishery resources
· Our laboratory is conducting environmental monitoring in collaboration with the Lake Saroma Aquaculture Fisheries Cooperative since June 2018 to estimate the aquaculture allowances under the current environmental status.
Determining the food amount required by scallop
· Scallops filter and feed on particulate organic matter suspended in water such as phytoplankton.
· Farmed scallops，oysters, organisms attached to them such as Mytilus and Ascidiacea, and zooplankton share similar food sources.
· Estimating the amount of food that scallops consume requires knowing the amount of food consumed by other food competitors.